Let’s face it, we’re all humans and we all make mistakes. Unfortunately, our mistakes can sometimes cost us big time! When it comes to measuring vinyl liners, we’ve seen 30 years worth of simple, human errors that CAN be avoided. Here are some tips for measuring vinyl liners and how to avoid all too common mistakes.
Communication Is Key
– Eliminate verbal incoming data. The age of texting and e-mails is the way to go!
– Eliminate multi-correspondence of additional data for the same job. Just submit all data at one time without loose ends.
– Number the pages of submitted paperwork (1 of 3 ,2 of 3, 3of 3, etc.) so Merlin knows we rec’d everything at the first transmission.
- Large 8 1/2 “x 11” drawings of pools showing :
- Shape of pool
- A & B location in relation to the pool
- Point direction measured, and write in large enough penmanship so everyone can read after possible faxing
- Include all pertinent data confirming special info like S/E & D/E break points and or start and stops of waterfalls etc.
- When providing dimensions please be crystal clear as to what the dimensions are (Ex: 4′-3″ or 51″ )
– Measure and record what’s real about the pool in question. Do Not pre-tweak.
– If the bead is to be something other than the standard Merlin bead, specify other bead needed.
– Confirm how the step vinyl is to be secured to the vinyl-covered step. Example: rod pockets, Flaps, or bead
Tips for The Job
– Look for radius internal transitions when measuring. Just like a type and size of corner of a pool is critical so are the bottom internal transitions
- Review wall seam locations. Yes, Merlin’s default is to design one seam in the centerline of the shallow end but if a fiberglass step or swim out is present please locate so the wall seam can be designed there. If there are no steps at all and the shallow end is very visible to the homeowner’s main point of view one can request a wall seam to be on a sidewall if desired out of site.
-Review Aqua Max pros (Northeast & northwest corners of pool) & known chemical damage to the old liner. Aqua Max is more homeowner friendly.
– FYI: All patterns can be ordered without tile with no additional costs,
-Watch out for convex and or concave back and side slopes. watch out for slanted side walls as well.(some pools actually have 3′-4″ offset walls )
-Measure depths of shallow end in front of all fiberglass steps also.
– be aware of hidden shallow end coves and safety ledges when measuring almost empty pools when the old vinyl is just hanging on and angle from the bead inward.
– Warnings of radius fiberglass steps that potentially have a tighter radius than the surrounding walls. Measure either to a plumed bobbed line at deck elevation or measure from a straight edge to the center offset.
Be Prepared & Clean Up When You Finish Your Measuring Job
-Have ALL tools needed for measuring: 100′ fiberglass, 25′ steel tape, some sort of liner measure poles, plumb bob, kids sidewalk chalk, stakes to A-B measure from, assorted nails (12-16 penny) for nailing into an all paver deck, hammer.
Additional suggested items: Waders, float ring, laser measure( $75 one from HD),Samples of vinyl, covers, text tread, beads, brochures, and statistic sheets, samples of hardware.
-Wear appropriate clothes (getting dirty/wet and climbing around can always be possible)
-Close all gates when leaving a site.
-Erase all marks on the pool when completely done
-Leave phones in the car so you do not get distracted. Stay focused
-Go to the bathroom prior to any site work .No going on site!
-DO NOT measure green pools that are so murky you can not see the hopper pad. Don’t EVER assume dimensions.
-Dealers, please have the covers off the pool prior to training and/or measuring appointment with Merlin personnel or rep group.
Make it Easy and Fast!
-Use Magix whenever possible.
Contact us if you would like to become a Merlin dealer, need training, or have questions about measuring safety covers and vinyl liners. We give presentations and hold counter days at distributor centers often. Check out our Upcoming Events for a location near you.