These timers are commonly used for holiday lighting applications. Your customers need something for their blow up decor, commercial decorations, lighting on and in homes, businesses, etc.
In our industry every manufacturer will say their inground wall is the best, and every dealer will say that the pool they sell is the best. Medallion Pools has always been honest and forth coming on the pros and cons of all pools. With this article we aim to give the Distributors and Dealers an honest comparison of all pools.
Let’s start with a little history of the aluminum pool panel. Aluminum pools go back to the early days of inground package pools. The first pool manufactured was a wood wall followed by a steel wall and then an aluminum wall. Later on in the 80’s the polymer wall was developed.
Going back to the late sixties and early seventies several companies over the years manufactured aluminum pools. However some made two mistakes when it came to the manufacturing of their walls.
Let’s first start with the other manufacturer’s walls. The first thing they did wrong was try to manufacture an aluminum wall just like they were manufacturing a steel wall. These companies thought they could use an aluminum sheet approximately the same thickness as their steel walls and use the same number of wall stiffeners, one stiffener every 4 feet. This will not and did not work. Since aluminum alone does not have the same strength as steel on just a sheet basis you must add more vertical stiffeners to bring the strength of the aluminum up to what it needs for the application. Let me give you a simple comparison example. If you are building a load bearing wall in a home you don’t use thicker sheet rock, but instead you would use more studs. Medallion figured this out 37 years ago and it has worked in over a 150,000 aluminum pool walls. Medallion’s aluminum walls have a vertical stiffener every 2 feet.
The second process that they went wrong on was the purchase of the alloy of the aluminum that they were using. What most manufactures did was go out and buy the lowest priced aluminum sheet that they could, rather than using an alloy designed for the application that it was going to be used in. In the aluminum industry you can select from eight different aluminum alloys. The eight alloys are:
Each alloy has a different amount of copper, magnesium, manganese, silicon, tin and zinc. The difference in the amounts of each of these elements will depend on the application of the alloy. All alloys have several features but listed below is what each alloy is known for.
- Alloy 1100 – Excellent Formability / Workability / Weldability
- Alloy 2011 – Excellent Machineability
- Alloy 2024 – Can be Heat Treated / High strength aluminum alloy
- Alloy 3003 – Excellent Weldability / Formability / Workability
- Alloy 5052 – Excellent Corrosion Resistance (Preferred in marine applications)
- Alloy 6061 – Can be Heat Treated / Structural Applications / General Fabrication
- Alloy 6063 – Can be Heat Treated / Architectural Applications
- Alloy 7075 – Aerospace Applications / Can be Heat Treated
The typical applications of the 5052 include marine, aircraft, architecture, general sheet metal work, heat exchangers, fuel lines, tanks, flooring panels, streetlights, appliances, rivets and wire. The exceptional corrosion resistance of 5052 alloy against seawater and salt spray makes it a primary candidate for the failure-sensitive large marine structures. With the other manufacturers purchasing the cheapest alloy instead of the 5052 the life expectancy would be greatly reduced.
Using any alloy other than 5052 would be like a steel wall company using plain steel instead of galvanized steel (faster to rust) or polymer walls without or with low quantities of UV protection (easy warping and deterioration in sunlight) and without or with low quantities of plasticizers (easily cracks in expansive soils). Medallion uses only 5052 for all of their aluminum walls.
|Aluminum||Galvanized Steel||Polymer||Steel coated with Aluminum, Zinc, & Magnesium|
|Warrantee void if not backfilled with stone||No||No||Yes||No|
|Can warp in sunlight before pool is finished||No||No||Yes||No|
|UV can affect life of wall||No||No||Yes||No|
|Wall can deteriorate if wall is scratched||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Heavy to handle||No||Yes – Extremely||Yes||Yes – Extremely|
|Slower to install due to weight or excess number of walls||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
By figuring out these two simple items where others went wrong, Medallion was able to produce a wall with all of the benefits and none of the negatives as listed in the above chart. This makes the aluminum wall the pool wall of the future.
We are more than happy to represent such a strong product. You may know LaMotte by their Spin lab, discs, Color Q and reagent kits, or you may recognize the name, Insta-Strips.
LaMotte’s R&D chemists have worked tirelessly to create the best test strip on the market. You may be using competitor test strips in the field or selling them in your retail stores, but there’s a few reasons why you’ll want to consider using LaMotte from now on.
It’s as simple as one-two-three ( or 0, 1, 30 – ha! )
- 0 Wait – our strips are ready to read as soon as you pull them out of the water – no waiting 15 to 30 seconds (other strips can take over a minute!)
- 1 Dip formula – dip and read without the bleed! Colors will not bleed or drip into the next pad. Results are accurate an immediate.
- 30 Month Shelf Life – most of our strips have a 30 month shelf life. Delay or eliminate the need to throw out expired inventory. Time is money, right!
If you’re not a current Insta Strip user, contact us and we’ll supply you with samples.
ESL developed a phosphate free product that controls metals in the water and inhibits stains caused by metals in the water. Metal Shield can be used with chlorine systems with high metal content.
Check out the video below: Metal Shield in 60 Seconds.
1 oz per 1000 gallons is all you need. Pour it in every 30 days – you’ll kill the existing algae and prevent algae re-growth… what could be better?
100% guarantee? You got it!
If you experience algae growth while using this product as directed, Earth Science Labs will refund the purchase price of the product.
- No pre-mixing required
- No staining will occur
- No foaming
- Easy Application
- Highly Effective
- Rapid Dispersion
- Low Dosage
- Algae free guarantee!
Even though we were still measuring pools in late 2016, this year flew by! Now, with another year behind us, it’s time to reflect on the past and look ahead to the future. Here are some product highlights from 2016.
1 – MERLIN SUPER VALUE MAX LINER
This Super Value Max liner has been a very popular choice in 2016. It has been manufactured using Merlin’s exclusive silk seam process. Super Value Max is a 27 mil wall and 27 mil floor at an economical price point.
2- CMP SMART SYNC
As we predicted last year, SmartSync was a total hit in 2016! SmartSync is a universal control for Brilliant Wonders LED waterfalls synchronized with lighting and controls from CMP, Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy. It’s simple to install and field programmable.
Learn more here.
3- CARVIN STARBRIGHT LED LIGHT FOR ABOVE-GROUND POOLS
The all new Carvin StarBright LED light was designed to replace standard above ground pool return jet fittings. The StarBright lamp body is made out of Shock-Resistant Polycarbonate, is fully enclosed and waterproof, and an electronic light controller has been integrated into the lamp body.
With an easy to use remote control, you can change and create your own custom light display colors. Plus, the StarBright includes 5 color changing programs, 7 static colors, Stroboscopic effects, a gradual light change setting, and various light speed controls. The StarBright light body is made out of UV and shock-resistant polycarbonate material, is fully enclosed, and is fully waterproof.
Competitive pricing in both color (with remote control) and white (no remote), replaces the return fitting and provide bright (VERY Bright!) lighting for AG pools – both new and retrofit.
4- CHEMLINK NOVALINK SL
White (28 oz tubes only) and dark gray (2-liter pouches only) were introduced mid year. You don’t need 3 days of good weather to seal deck joints anymore; in fact, a little moisture actually HELPS this product start to cure! 5 colors now available and samples available by request – please ask, you won’t be disappointed. Non-Sag versions of NovaLink are available in numerous colors as well.
We’re very excited to see these products take off 2017!
1- CMP 4” LED Bubbler
2- LAMOTTE SPIN TOUCH
4 – SALTECH – SALT GENERATOR SYSTEMS AND REPLACEMENT CELLS
LaMotte has been making major growth in the pool and spa industry with products such as WaterLink Spin and Insta-test Strips. Their superior products and renowned tech support and customer service put them at their water testing solutions at the top of the industry.
As we well know, technology is ever-moving faster and faster. LaMotte is an innovative company enhancing their product technology and software to serve their customers even better than their previous versions. If you’re already using a WaterLink Spin that is over a year old, you may be interested in their Instrument Upgrade & Warranty Offer.
Instrument Upgrade & Warranty Offer
Trade in your old model and get a factory certified pre-owned SPIN with the latest enhancements for optimal precision.
When you send in your older Spin lab, LaMotte will send you a certified refurbished WaterLink Spin Meter that comes with the latest design enhancements. Your upgrade comes with a one year warranty; LaMotte will cover shipping costs both ways.
You will likely prefer to send in your old Spin lab in the off-season as there will be longer lead times March – August.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO:
Go to www.lamotte.com/spinupgrade to enter an online order.
Do not send in your old model until you receive your new refurbished model.
The new model will come with a pre-paid shipper, use that to return your old model.
Need DataMate Web training?
Contact your Blithe Sales rep today to set up a training session.
Call LaMotte Tech Support if you need assistance with your software.
DataMate 10 – Software hard installed to your computer (comes to you in a disc)
DataMate Web – Subscription based and web hosted
Let’s face it, we’re all humans and we all make mistakes. Unfortunately, our mistakes can sometimes cost us big time! When it comes to measuring vinyl liners, we’ve seen 30 years worth of simple, human errors that CAN be avoided. Here are some tips for measuring vinyl liners and how to avoid all too common mistakes.
Communication Is Key
– Eliminate verbal incoming data. The age of texting and e-mails is the way to go!
– Eliminate multi-correspondence of additional data for the same job. Just submit all data at one time without loose ends.
– Number the pages of submitted paperwork (1 of 3 ,2 of 3, 3of 3, etc.) so Merlin knows we rec’d everything at the first transmission.
- Large 8 1/2 “x 11” drawings of pools showing :
- Shape of pool
- A & B location in relation to the pool
- Point direction measured, and write in large enough penmanship so everyone can read after possible faxing
- Include all pertinent data confirming special info like S/E & D/E break points and or start and stops of waterfalls etc.
- When providing dimensions please be crystal clear as to what the dimensions are (Ex: 4′-3″ or 51″ )
– Measure and record what’s real about the pool in question. Do Not pre-tweak.
– If the bead is to be something other than the standard Merlin bead, specify other bead needed.
– Confirm how the step vinyl is to be secured to the vinyl-covered step. Example: rod pockets, Flaps, or bead
Tips for The Job
– Look for radius internal transitions when measuring. Just like a type and size of corner of a pool is critical so are the bottom internal transitions
- Review wall seam locations. Yes, Merlin’s default is to design one seam in the centerline of the shallow end but if a fiberglass step or swim out is present please locate so the wall seam can be designed there. If there are no steps at all and the shallow end is very visible to the homeowner’s main point of view one can request a wall seam to be on a sidewall if desired out of site.
-Review Aqua Max pros (Northeast & northwest corners of pool) & known chemical damage to the old liner. Aqua Max is more homeowner friendly.
– FYI: All patterns can be ordered without tile with no additional costs,
-Watch out for convex and or concave back and side slopes. watch out for slanted side walls as well.(some pools actually have 3′-4″ offset walls )
-Measure depths of shallow end in front of all fiberglass steps also.
– be aware of hidden shallow end coves and safety ledges when measuring almost empty pools when the old vinyl is just hanging on and angle from the bead inward.
– Warnings of radius fiberglass steps that potentially have a tighter radius than the surrounding walls. Measure either to a plumed bobbed line at deck elevation or measure from a straight edge to the center offset.
Be Prepared & Clean Up When You Finish Your Measuring Job
-Have ALL tools needed for measuring: 100′ fiberglass, 25′ steel tape, some sort of liner measure poles, plumb bob, kids sidewalk chalk, stakes to A-B measure from, assorted nails (12-16 penny) for nailing into an all paver deck, hammer.
Additional suggested items: Waders, float ring, laser measure( $75 one from HD),Samples of vinyl, covers, text tread, beads, brochures, and statistic sheets, samples of hardware.
-Wear appropriate clothes (getting dirty/wet and climbing around can always be possible)
-Close all gates when leaving a site.
-Erase all marks on the pool when completely done
-Leave phones in the car so you do not get distracted. Stay focused
-Go to the bathroom prior to any site work .No going on site!
-DO NOT measure green pools that are so murky you can not see the hopper pad. Don’t EVER assume dimensions.
-Dealers, please have the covers off the pool prior to training and/or measuring appointment with Merlin personnel or rep group.
Make it Easy and Fast!
-Use Magix whenever possible.
Contact us if you would like to become a Merlin dealer, need training, or have questions about measuring safety covers and vinyl liners. We give presentations and hold counter days at distributor centers often. Check out our Upcoming Events for a location near you.